Sunday, May 15, 2011

Shoulders? We don't need no stinkin shoulders.

Day 7
Cottonwood AZ to Flagstaff AZ.
60 (uphill) miles, 6,800 ft of gain.

I started the day with anger. I was reminded by "Yo' Vinnie", my riding buddy, that I needed to focus on the ride and forget about things that we don't have any control over. Yo Vinnie was right and I thought about the great day ahead on the bike and that I was going to be rewarded by seeing my lovely bride for dinner later that evening.
The weather was perfect, morning started out cool but it warmed quickly and with the hills coming early staying warm wasn't going to be an issue.

After a solid early stint on pedaling we came to Sedona. For those of you who haven't been to Sedona I'm not sure how to describe it to you. Sedona is beautiful beyond description in it's natural beauty, years ago it was a small dot on the map where the hemp wearing, tree hugging, vortex worshipping desert hippies would go to commune with the stars and space ships. Today it is the same except there a million dollar condos and t-shirt shops surrounded by overpriced restaurants that serve free range vegan treats to the tourists that come to Sedona to find themselves.
Sedona is really something special. The Red Rock Mesas the multiple colors that pictures can not do justice are something that everyone should experience.



Today was a day to be enjoyed, the distance wasn't long today but we were going to be in the mountains where services (water and food) would be available so since I wasn't trying to beat the scorching heat I decided to take my sweet time and enjoy the beauty of the day.
Oak Creek Canyon is a very scenic road from Sedona to Flagstaff. There are fantastic climbs with switch backs and fantastic overlooks. As beautiful as this road is it is just as narrow. One lane each way with NO SHOULDER on either side made for a couple interesting moments but the drivers (except for Buford T.  Dumbass in the with the dually pickup) were fantastic.
 
This picture give you an idea of the switchbacks and the road. It is much more fun to look down at where you came from than to look up and say those two words in all riders vocabulary..."Oh Sh*t" when they see the road hundreds of feet above them and another section hundreds of feet above that.

The picture above shows the road where Buford T. Dumbass in his white dually pickup decided to pass another car, in doing so it put him heading toward me with nowhere for me to hide. I pulled to the side and hugged the rail as Buford raced past.

This climb was tough on my "young" 50 year old legs. We have a rider in the group that is 75 years old, George is a tall man with a great voice and a big smile. George isn't the fastest rider in the group but I would guess that he is the smartest. He has his pace and he gets through the day, George is my hero.
I will get a picture of George posted soon


After a week on the road the bikes needed a bath and some attention. The hotel was nice enough to break out the hoses and let us detail and lube our trusted steeds. Ruby Jean received some extra special attention and is looking spiffy for week number 2 starting tomorrow.

Only one week in and I've learned many things.
1. I don't miss TV.
2. I do miss my family.
3. I'm very appreciative for God allowing me the health to pursue this adventure.

Dream BIG, Jeff


2 comments:

  1. We all miss you too! Enjoying reading your blog everyday. I will give you an update on the sports world whenever you want!

    -Your Son

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep going dad! :D .. I love waking up to read this in the mornings.. (no, I didn't just wake up at ten, I just got on my laptop though ;) ) Excited to read more! Thanks for this great blog!! :D Love ya

    ReplyDelete