Saturday, May 7, 2011

I don't think we're in Kansas anymore. Surfboards,Sand & Silicone Oh My!

Yesterday was our first day here. Ruby Jean was unpacked and put back together and of course I had to take her out for a test spin to make sure that everything was rolling smooth. We are in El Segundo just a few miles from the beach so I thought a test run along the ocean was the way to go.

As I'm riding to the beach I catch up to Rick on his bike equipped with a surfboard rack. He was kind enough to pull over so I could get the picture. Something tells me that Rick has a good life.

When I reached the beach I rode south through Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach & Redondo Beach. Along the way there were all of the sights that you would expect to see on a Baywatch rerun.
The weather was on the cool side and today and tomorrow look to be cold for So Cal which is fine with me but it really hampers Stephs plans for some quality pool time.


Last night we found a open air beer garden restaurant that we couldn't pass up. "Rock & Brew" had a great European beer garden vibe with the community seating and families. The place was packed and the food (and brew) was great. Since we are in California we opted for the BLA pizza. Bacon , Lettuce, Avocado with caramelized onion....when in Rome.

Later today we have our bike inspections and we will meet all the other riders for the first time. We will have a banquet tonight with riders and guests and tomorrow, Mothers Day, at 5:30 we will have team breakfast and hit the road.
Today already feels like Christmas Eve when I was 8 years old and I know that I will be awake all night looking at the clock in anticipation of the gifts awaiting me.
Dream BIG, Jeff

5 comments:

  1. No one from SoCal would even notice the dude with the surfboard rack on his bike much less stop him to take his picture. Tourists!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather looks like it did for us in March when we drove down to board the cruise ship. We spent our first night at Venice Beach and shivered walking out on the pier after our dinner.

    Have a great first day...and I look forward to reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You hit my home town(s)!!! Manhattan, Hermosa, & Redondo. Rock and Brew...WooHoo! And you can officially say you've been to "El Stink Gundo". LOL As for Riverside, yuk! But you'll get through it, and it will soon be a memory.

    CA & Avacados = synonymous :-)

    "DREAM BIG"...right on! Keep up the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff
    Safe Cycling today. Let me know if you pass the Dinasaurs off Hwy 10 today!

    Fausto

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our bikes feature a well built frame, with the most high end seats on the market.
    Schwinn

    ReplyDelete