Sunday, May 29, 2011

Day 22 Great Bend KS to McPherson KS. We lost an original today.

Day 22
Great Bend KS to McPherson KS
65 Miles - late neutral wind - HOT


 Above is a picture of Aunt Luetta from Friday afternoon as she became Rrose Festival Princess at her care facility. She passed away early this morning in her sleep and we will miss her greatly. When I told Luetta about the cross country bike ride she looked at me and said "do they pay you to do that?" I just said no. If she knew that I paid to ride she would have flipped. She didn't want me to go on the ride because she was concerned for my safety but she was very proud of the effort and after I left she would show people newspaper stories and her official ride towel with the map. Someday I should do a blog on things that Luetta either did or said, the woman was comedy gold. 1915-2011, think of the things that she saw in her lifetime.

Today, Memorial Day Sunday, started off with a heavy fog and began to clear late morning. I chose to ride alone today, I thought it best to clear my head a bit. The small towns that I rode through today were empty.
I think that it was a combination of folks going to church and staying home to watch the Indianappolis 500.

Today was a great day for a gentle 65 mile ride. I'm feeling much better and the initial shock of losing a loved one has been replaced with a sense of thankfullness for being able to experience the wacky world of Aunt Luetta and for her to be able to say her last goodbyes and pass quietly in her sleep.

The ride goes on with even more inspiration and the comfort on my part knowing that I have a Princess looking down from above to keep me safe.

Dream BIG, Jeff

2 comments:

  1. My condolences on you loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you just had to put a picture of a snake on here! I would have kept peddaling to the next state!!

    Safe cycling my friend!

    Fausto

    ReplyDelete