Monday, May 23, 2011

1,000 miles down, 2,500 miles to go.

Today we left Las Vegas NM with Tucumcari NM as our destination 108 miles away.
At mile 27 we hit the 1,000 mile mark of the ride. It was fun to be able to hold up the sign.
Here we decided to make our own sign. Penny (1) Debbie (comma), Dave, Adrienne, Me as 0's.

At the 40 mile mark we rounded a corner to see the world open up below us. This was without question the best view of the day. To the left you can see the road carved out of the hillside and the fantastic descent that awaited us. A good descent is the reward for climbs that you put in prior to getting paid off with a rocket ride down the other side.
At mile 66 we were promised a "bump" that would bring up the heart rates. Most of the climbs throughout the day are a 3% to 7% grade, "The Wall" is purported to be a 17% up through a gap that is only 3/ 4 of a mile long but at altitude and in the heat it will get your attention.

This is what the entire 2nd half of the ride looked like, Long, Straight, Empty roads with hills and a whole bunch of nothing to look at. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the vast area of nothing was ugly and boring, I'm just saying that the beauty must be similar to modern art and I'm just not smart enough to appreciate it.

At 108 miles and 5,000 feet of climbing today wasn't the most difficult day that we have had but today is the most tired that I have been after reaching the hotel. After eating 1st dinner I hit the bed for a half hour nap and then went to "route rap" where we go over the days ride and discuss the next days route. I'm now back at the hotel after 2nd dinner and will be turning out the lights soon.

Tomorrow we enter our 4th state, HELLO TEXAS!

So, I couldn't decide weather to tell this story or not and after discussing it with the team I have been persuaded to share one of the funny moments of today.
To set up the story you need to understand that I really like my morning coffee and that without question I will need to get rid of that coffee at about mile 15. Today was no exception to the rule so at mile 14 I put the hammer down and rode up ahead of the group so that I could find a spot to pull over and relieve the pressure of the coffee. I was several hundred yards ahead as I pulled off and found a small scrub bush and while in progress I saw Dave approaching so as he road by I raised both hands into the air in a "look ma, no hands" sort of gesture and I hear the high pitch voice of Debbie say "wow, 15 miles...you're like clockwork".
I guess it wasn't Dave after all.
No, Dave and Debbie do not look anything alike but spandex and helmets can be confusing.
We all had a good laugh and I guarantee that at 15 miles tomorrow I will be along side the road but this time I will stick to business.


I need a good nights sleep and a good dose of energy for tomorrow, next day off isn't until Abliene, Kansas.

To my family...SDGNILY.
Dream BIG, Jeff

1 comment:

  1. cute story- good idea to share :) Thats fun :)
    be safe :)

    ReplyDelete