Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I'm pretty sure that wasn't Gatorade....

Day 3 Indio CA to Blythe CA.
101 Miles.

The Mojave in May can be hotter n' hell but today we were given a gift. I don't think that we ever got much over 80* and the wind wasn't in our face so I want to give a big shout out to Mother Nature on coming through for us.
Although the wind wasn't in our face it really wasn't at our back either. We had a strong side wind so if we could get MN to just focus a bit on wind direction it would really be appreciated.
The climb this morning was 11 miles long but not steep. We were on Hwy 110 almost all day so we were able to let thousands of 18 wheelers see our cool desert gear. The truckers are very courteous but like anything there is always the one dumbass that can spoil your day. Today the before mentioned dumbass drove past me just past the Twentynine Palms exit and tossed out a half full bottle of "trucker gatorade". He missed me by about 20 feet and I hope that their aim doesn't improve.

                                                 Parked at the Gen George S Patton museum
                                                        Gen George S Patton There was once a huge military training facility in the town of ???. I don't really think that this is a town, it is smack in the middle of nowhere. There was nothing here until Chevron put up a gas station and mini mart, I suppose that the manager of the mini mart would then also be the official Mayor of Nowhere.
Above you can see the official desert attire. The goal is to pretty much cover yourself from head to to to keep the sun off. I carried 48oz of water and 70oz of Powerbar drink at all times and refilled every opportunity I could. The key in the desert is to drink BEFORE you are thirsty.
I should have had a picture taken of another first for the ride...I had my first flat. I was really hoping that the 1st flat wouldn't come in the desert but we were able to get it fixed and on our way without to much trouble.

Tomorrows ride to Wickenburg AZ will be our 1st state line crossing. We will have to cover 115 miles to get us out of the Mojave and we will again get some nice climbs to start the day. I will be having dinner with Jim & John Peterson from High School. That will be a real nice treat after a very long day in the saddle.

Dream BIG, Jeff

4 comments:

  1. Wow! This ride is incredible and your posts are hillarious! I am following this from my desk as M.S. Manager at BBBS of South Georgia. Wish you guys were coming through here! I am sharing on our FB page & website. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great that Jim and John will be there to meet up with you! Stay strong my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, when I rode through this stretch with XC08, I didn't have to dodge funky gatorade, but I did get blown clear off the road with one of MN's massive side gusts of wind. If it weren't for a big shrub that finally stopped me, I don't know how far that wind would have carried me! Be safe. Your winds should die down. Mountain climbing ahead, however...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeff, Say high to John and Jim for me. Have fun, Chris Larsen.

    ReplyDelete