Friday, May 27, 2011

The Daltons Hideout and fighting our way into Dodge - Day 20

Day 20
Liberal KS to Dodge City KS
82 Miles  - Dalton Hangout then the headwinds came.

This picture is from late yesterday is Liberal. I promised my new buddy Hudson that I would post his picture on the blog so, here you go big guy.
Hudson is co-pilot with his mom, Mandy, in a shuttle service from the hotel. They suggested a very good mexican resturant and after dinner I called and they were there in 5 minutes to haul me back to the hotel.
Hudson is playing T-Ball and likes nachos and riding his bike but doesn't think is is a good idea to ride far from home, Hudson is a smart kid.

                                                    Knee High by The 4th of July?
Today's ride provided us a glimpse of what we will be seeing for the next few days. Huge farms, flat or softly rolling roads that are straight as a string and go forever. The locals have promised us that the other thing we can count on while in Kansas is....wind.
At the halfway point of the ride we took a quick detour to The Dalton Gangs Hideout. I realize that hindsight is 20-20 but I really think that if The Daltons didn't want to get caught they shouldn't have put all those signs with directions to the hideout on the hi-way.
                                               Dalton Gangs escape tunnel from the house.
Yes, this is a 2 headed calf, what does it have to do with The Dalton Gang?, well nothing except it was in the museum and I suppose that this will be the only time that I will be able to include a picture of a 2 headed calf on this blog or any other.
As soon as we arrived Dodge City I joined Dave and Adrianne for 1st Dinner of Pizza. Today was a "grinder", the pizza was well earned after fighting the late day headwinds.

                            Boot Hill Museum in Dodge City - Wyatt Earp was nowhere to be found
The day finished with a very plesant dinner at a small mexican resturant were we talked about everything except riding a bike. I have come to look forward to our late dinners and talking with new friends that I suspect will remain friends.

So, here we are somewhere around 1,300 miles into the ride and everything still seems to be working well and feeling good. I took a nap before 2nd dinner today ( is it a nap if you plop on the bed and pass out?) this is the first nap I've taken but I don't think it will be the last because I think that the miles might be catching up with me.

Tomorrow is 85 miles to Great Bend KS, wind might be smacking us in the face the entire way.

My body says it's time to go to bed.

Dream BIG, Jeff

1 comment:

  1. hey! The little boy looks so cute! :) ..
    Can't wait til the 4th :) It'll be great... have fun! Be safe and keep thinking :D

    Tori

    ReplyDelete