Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 43 - New York's Finger Lakes and towns on way to Syracuse.

Day 43
Fathers Day
Canandaigua, NY to Syracuse, NY
70 Miles. Mild temps with manageable headwinds.

I was able to talk to all the kid's today and call my dad from the road so it made for a good day. I would prefer to be home and having a BBQ but being 3,000 miles from home made the phone calls special.
I'm looking forward to having our get together back home.

The Finger Lakes region of upstate NY is really a very nice area with it's many big lakes and attractive small towns like Geneva, Seneca Falls,Camillus and Liverpool. These town all have well kept historic homes and nice looking Main Streets.
Today's route sheet showed that we had a relatively calm climbing day, maybe they need to measure that elevation gain again. It seemed like we were climbing all day long but the weather was mild and it is the last week so as long as I can keep the rubber on the road for another 5 days, I'm happy.

Outside Camillus we passed a park on the Erie Canal that was really interesting with some of the old barges and tow paths.
You can tell that the ride is getting close to the end, "The Gang" a name given to us by George which now includes Chris, Penny, Dave, Adrianne and myself are the remaining "EFI" (every fantastic inch) riders and we don't want anything to happen to screw it up. We ride as a group but not in a tight pace line, just as group to help each other when we need it. Making it across the country is the goal, making it EFI across the country is the dream and we are really getting close.

Last nights hotel (Super 8) wasn't really so super. Sometimes towns don't have much to offer and I guess as long as I have a bed and a shower everything will be fine but I have found that the nicer places have made for a better sleep. Our tour director puts a good amount of work into the hotels but last nights might be off the list for next year.

Tomorrow we ride 78 miles to Little Falls, NY where we have been promised a "not great" hotel but they serve free beer and have a movie theatre....sounds like a fair trade to me.

Happy Fathers Day.

Dream BIG, Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment