Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day 35 - Indianapolis IN, to Richmond, IN and a fine day it was.

Day 35
Indianapolis IN to Richmond IN
85 Miles, a gentle wind and mild temperatures.

So...This is now the 2nd time I've written this blog today. After spending an hour writing the first one Blogger experienced a problem and nothing was saved prior to my posting. It is now getting late and we have a long day tomorrow so this won't be my best effort.

The weather report called for possible severe thunderstorms. We began the ride with clouds the feel of rain but after just 10 miles the skies began to clear and winds remained calm and we began to believe that we might actually get a nice day in the saddle.

Why a picture of giant candles you ask? Because I can't keep putting up pictures of corn fields, barns, cows and old farm implements. I swear that if I can get a picture of the worlds largest ball of twine or even the worlds largest collection of dryer lint I will stop and take a picture.
We went through a couple nice small towns today. At the 30 mile mark we went through New Castle which is a great little town with the American flags lining both sides of the streets and as you begin to get out of town yow see many homes with large flag poles.


One of the many yard displays we have seen in the last few days, way to go Indiana.

We had our SAG stop at the 38 mile mark at a small post office in "somewhereville", the residents were really amused to see a dozen weirdos in spandex eating bananas, grapes and cake in front of their post office. They were kind enough to open the back door the the town meeting hall to allow us to use the bathroom. One old guy rode up on a 1970's Schwinn Stingray and laughed at the notion that adults would pay money and take time to ride a bicycle from the pacific to the Atlantic...he just might be right.

As we got to the outskirts of Richmond I stopped at their All American Rose Garden which was attached to the Glen Miller Golf Course.
The rose garden was nice but I'm from The Rose City, If you ever get to Portland check out THE Rose Garden or any of the many smaller rose gardens in the city. Indiana has us beat on corn and soy beans.

Jeff's new rule: Never eat at a fast food restaurant that is "dual branded". I really think that Taco Bell & KFC or in my case today Long John Silvers and A&W is a bad idea. Have you ever seen McDonald's share with another brand? My burger at "Long John Silvers Fish and Burger Emporium featuring A&W Root Beer" smelled like fish. I should have known better and I later found out that there was my new favorite "Steak & Shake" just down the road. Since we are passing all sorts of nonsense legislation maybe we should have a mandate that states "No schizophrenic restaurants". Just one guys opinion.


OK, since I'm doing restaurant reviews here is a review of tonight's restaurant:
Bob Evans is a popular chain in this part of the country. It has a very homey & clean feel about it.
The food was very good but the service was slow and muddled. The most important part of this review is this...Warning: Bob Evans does not serve beer. Beer is to cycling what oil is to the engine of a race car.
Beer is carbs and carbs are good. I don't care how good the food is, my engine is low on oil and I have to ride 105 miles tomorrow. If I suffer from this loss of fuel I will strike a curse on you Bob Evans.
After 4 glasses of delicious Bob Evans Ice Tea I will probably be up all night peeing but since I won't be sleeping due to all the caffeine at least it will give me something to do.

Tomorrow we cross into Ohio, our 10th state. 2 weeks until The Atlantic.

Dream BIG, Jeff


No comments:

Post a Comment