Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day 40 - Ruby Jean rested, I did chores..Tomorrow - NEW YORK !!

Day 40
Rest Day - Erie, PA

Today was a rest day for Ruby Jean. she rested against the window with a nice view of the harbor and had a bath and chain lube, I on the other hand had chores to do.
Todays "rest day" involved getting on the phone early and getting some projects completed and getting some problems fixed (Thanks Kelly). I also did a load of laundry, got a haircut, went to the post office and mailed home some extra gear and had a prescription filled.

A couple days ago I started to have a flare up of Iritis (arthritis of the eyeball) and I was trying to suppress it with steroid drops but it wasn't going away so my doctor phoned in a prescription of a oral steroid to knock to iritis back. So, if they drug test me after the ride will I be DQ'd for steroids? Iritis is very unpleasant and painful if you need to have your eyes open and doubly so if you are exposed to bright sunlight....not the thing you want on a bike ride. Later today it started feeling better so all looks good for riding tomorrow.
White Castle: Take a dinner roll, add a mini piece of meat with a dollop of mayonnaise and you have a White Castle Burger. I love these things and a 6 pack makes the perfect snack. Good thing they don't have these at home.


Tomorrow: Hamburg NEW YORK.
One week until I get to see Stephanie and only 8 more riding days.
I think that this next 8 days will be played a little different. Speed will not be important, safety and keeping the rubber side on the road will be the number goal. We will have some big climbing days the 4 days prior to the finish in Boston and the legs are in great condition for this final week.

This ride has been an adventure but it has not been a vacation. It has been a bicycle version of a cattle drive, truly a mental and physical grind but something that I'm very glad that I attempted but if I make it to the end, once will be enough.

Thanks for following along, I really appreciate all the support.

Dream BIG, Jeff 

5 comments:

  1. "Once will be enough." You may change your mind after a year or two. I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for doing this.. its an inspiration to see that nothing is impossible :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll still be following you but not on a bike. Best wished and happy pedaling! You are all fantastic.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck to you and all the other xc11 riders, wish we could be with you, stay safe and remember to pick the bugs out of your teeth before you take your finish picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're basically amazing for doing this and pushing through.

    Good luck on your climbs!!

    Glad you'll be crossing that finish line soon :)

    You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete