Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 37 - My favorite ride day (so far) Funky ride to Wooster, Ohio

Day 37
Marysville, OH to Wooster, OH
102 miles with town option
Mild temps, mild wind, quiet roads and good climbs.


Today was a great ride, my favorite day of the trip to this point. The weather was good, wind was not much of a factor and temps were very mild. The first part of the day we rode through the little town of Delaware OH and then at mile 35 we reached the first SAG stop in the town of Marengo. Above you can see Ruby Jean taking a needed rest.
There was a Chinese / Mexican restaurant in town. I have never seen a Chinese / Mexican combo restaurant but I suppose in a small town you do what you can. The above picture is of the side of their building. I'm sure that this picture wouldn't last long in a larger city.
                                         Dave, Adrianne & Penny taking a quick "stretch break".
Before today's final stretch we had SAG stop #2. Above you can see the main "ride meal" that we eat during the ride on long days to give us the calories & protein needed. PB&J sandwiches are just the ticket to keep the motor running.
Last week I had a few days that I was in a funk but today we actually rode through Funk. Funk is in the heart of Amish country. I passed 2 Amish buggies today. The first buggies was "family size" with Father, Mother and 3 kids riding inside, we exchanged a wave but that is about all that you will get when the adults are around. The 2nd buggy had 2 teenage boys, we exchanged greetings and I asked them "so, are you guys from around here?" they didn't get the humor and assured me that yes, they were from just up the road about a half mile. The Amish are very interesting and I have learned a good deal about them in the last few days.

Wooster is a great little town. Home of Wooster College with a nice downtown area.

After a nice 100 mile ride I was really happy to find Woo Coffee, Iced Mocha and a Triple Chocolate Muffin hit the spot for a post ride snack.

I kept exploring Wooster and found The Olde Jaol Brewing Company, I couldn't resist going in and getting a local beer and maybe another pre-dinner snack.
Everything felt great today, aches and pains were few and I hope that tomorrow will be the same.
Tomorrow looks to be the 3rd 100 mile day in a row. We were scheduled to have a 90 mile day but we have had a route change that looks to up the mileage.
Niles OH will be tomorrows destination and will be our last day in Ohio before we ride for Erie.

Possibility of rain tomorrow....bring it on, I'm homesick.

Dream BIG, Jeff

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff!! It was great to meet you today at "Woo's Brew's"! Eric and I really enjoyed talking to you. Sorry that we couldn't have talked longer. Let us know if you and your family are ever 'cycling" through Wooster again, it's a great place to visit! Praying for your safety as you travel along and will look forward to hearing about your final destination.
    Blessings,
    Eric and Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could still eat like that but I am now on the less than a 100 miles a day diet. Have a cold one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rode with Harry in 2009. You may want to mention about your beer stops. He might be inclined to have a beer or two with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruby jean does work hard. love your blog.

    ReplyDelete