Monday, June 6, 2011

Day 30...107 Miles, 95 Degrees and a Hitchcock like infestation

Day 30
Quincy, IL to Springfield, IL.
107 Miles, 95 Degrees, High Humidity and a zillion Cicada Bugs.

We knew that today was going to be a challenge, we had 107 miles to ride and the heat was going to be climbing fast. The heat, combined with very high humidity makes for tough conditions but I'm thankful that the winds were not hitting us in the face.

As soon as we got out of Quincy and started to get in the countryside where there were trees we heard this crazy loud "rattling" sound. We learned that the 13 year Cicada's are back and they are making all sorts of ruckus in the trees.

These are big, ugly, loud bugs. When we were riding through treed areas it was louder than you can imagine.
These Cicadas must number in the tens of thousands in each tree and when they fly in a swarm it is a bit unnerving. It reminded me of Hitchcock's "The Birds" by the amount of them and the noise.
We had them all the way to Springfield whenever we were in a treed area.


So, for the scenery of the day we had Churches, Corn, Soybeans & More Corn. With a heat index or 100, I didn't feel like being a photographer today.


There was one picture that needed to be taken and shared today. After 107 miles I stopped at "Steak & Shake" for 1st dinner before going to the hotel and had the best guacamole burger and raspberry milkshake ever. I made sure to sit far away from the other diners, I'm sure that they appreciate today effort but they may not be keen on the sweaty-stinky smell that today's effort produced.
2nd dinner was at Outback and I managed to wolf down a very nice Talipia & Crab dinner. Tomorrow it looks like I will have time for a real breakfast (not in hotel) at IHOP. This may not sound like a big deal to you but getting out of the hotel for a real breakfast is a great thing after a month of fake eggs and waffle machine.
This would be a great time to thank Bill & Heidi at Cascade Athletic Club for making me work hard at ride classes this winter and making days like this a little easier.

Tomorrow we ride to Champaign, IL. 87 miles and more heat and humidity but Wednesday is a rest day, we have earned it and it will be very welcomed.

Dream Big, Jeff

3 comments:

  1. I always made sure that if possible,I ate breakfast outside of the hotel. Two years ago, I had a chocolate shake at the steak and shake (I did shower).

    ReplyDelete
  2. See Jeff! I told you... Too much exercise will call down the wrath of GOD. Good thing you showed down on french fries, otherwise you could have called forth the rapture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey dad- Im glad to hear you may get to get real eggs! :) exciting day!!
    Ill call you soon :)

    ReplyDelete