Wednesday, April 13, 2011

3 weeks until I leave for L.A

We are getting closer to crunch time and I must admit that I'm getting a little nervous.
Training was going OK until a month ago when I caught what everyone else in the house had (the one month feel like crap virus) I think I have it shaken so now I have to play a little catch up.

We found out who the other riders will be, it looks like we will have 24 riders total. 14 riders are going the full route of L.A to Boston and the others will be doing segments of the route. It isn't uncommon for people to take a few years and do the ride in thirds, we have 2 riders finishing up their 3 stage this year in Boston.

The riders come from all around The U.S.A.  plus 2 from England, 1 from Great Britain and 1 from Wales.
Our youngest rider is 35 and the oldest is 75. When I'm 75 if I can ride across town, let alone across country, I will be happy...You are my hero George.

I'm really excited about meeting all these great people and spending 7 weeks with them sharing a common goal of riding across the country.

Are we there yet?





3 comments:

  1. Before you know it, you will be in El Segundo meeting your fellow riders for the first time. I'll be at the pier in Manhattan Beach to see everyone off. It's hard not to follow everyone up the hill when they leave on their cross country adventure. See you in three weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, I really look forward to meeting you at the beach, you have been very kind with your ride advice.
    So...is that first day ride going to be as "fun" as I expect it (all the stop lights and traffic)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely! The ride from the hotel in el Segundo is total adrenaline; the ride is finally starting. Lots of fun as riders ride the beach bike path to the Manhattan Beach pier, dip their wheels in the ocean, get their pictures taken, and depart for Riverside. On Sunday morning, there isn't much traffic and you will be riding with your new friends, chatting and enjoying the spectacle that is Los Angeles. The ride up the canyon park is very pretty, as is the ride through tree-lined boulevards in Riverside. The first day will be over before you know it, with many more great days to follow. I wish I could go with you. RSRO!

    ReplyDelete